Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Taking the initiative

So under the umbrella of educational opportunities I've been lucky enough to get involved with two online study groups. One is a monthly discussion of selected articles published by the National Genealogical Society's periodical, the National Genealogical Society Quarterly. I've been in the group since the fall of 2008, so not too long, but long enough to know that I've fallen into a great thing. If nothing else, it's a way to talk with others about the attributes of the Genealogical Proof Standard in action. As a visual learner, I couldn't ask for anything better than that because seeing it being done in print is a great way for me to learn how to do it in my own research.

The second group that I have just started this year is the third Pro Gen online study group. I waited several months for the group to start hoping that I would be able to grab a spot and sure enough, I did. So far we've had one discussion and it's already proving to be an invaluable resource. Not only do the group members get that interaction with others in the field that they may not otherwise have access to, but you also get the sage advice of a certified genealogist, or "CG", at each of the group discussions. The first discussion covered professionalism and ethics. Talk about a loaded gun. Seeing as how most of us fall into the category of "transitional" genealogist the discussion was essential to our ability to understand how a professional conducts his/her business as well as their research with clients as well as colleagues. With that discussion under my belt, on to next month's topic: educational opportunities! My favorite topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment