Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ohio is looking for Rev War graves

I just got a link to an article this morning that I wanted to share here. The Ohio Genealogical Society is looking for the gravesites of Revolutionary War vets. Volunteers and members of the county chapters are walking cemeteries looking for those who served in the Rev War in order to document the names and locations for future reference. The article mentions that many graves that have been found, have no mention of their service and some are calling for them to be memorialized in some fashion.

I was excited to hear that they were planning a documented (and I hope published) collection of the names and locations because that would be a great reference for those seeking the resting sites of their ancestors. But I was also excited about the effort because the brother of one of my ancestors (another Bromagem, this site is becoming Bromagem central! LOL) was Rev War vet and I have long suspected he was buried in Ohio but just haven't had the time to try to find him. It was one of those things on the neverending "to-do" list. But now I feel like if I can't get around to it, he won't be lost for long now that the Ohio Genealogical Society has taken the initiative. I think it's a great thing, and how wonderful would it be if more states would join in.

So here's the link to the article, take a look. http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/07/13/z-apoh_revolutionarywargrave.ART_ART_07-13-09_B5_S5EF7EE.html?sid=101

No comments:

Post a Comment