Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday...I know, it doesn't happen often here

I'm doing probably only the second, or possibly the first, Tombstone Tuesday here. I usually don't participate too much because I don't have very many tombstone photos in my collection. Last year however, I found a wonderfully kind researched through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, found here http://www.raogk.org/, who took photos of a group of family members who are buried in the Chester Rural Cemetery in Chester, Delaware Co., PA. Included among the burials was my 3rd Great Grandmother, Jemima McKeever Taylor. I don't know very much about her really, she was only about 33 when she died in 1873. She was born about 1840, probably in Philadelphia, PA where her father, J.B. McKeever as well as his parents and grandparents, were living at the time. She married Alfred Taylor, who is buried at Chester Rural Cemetery also, in 1861 at Marcus Hook, PA and had 5 children including one set of twins who both died shortly after birth. Her cause of death is unknown but presumably she died from complications during the birth of her twins in 1873 as all three died that year. Her husband, Alfred, raised their three remaining children, including Elizabeth (or "Bessie")-my Great Grandma Ward's beloved mother-and lived a very active life in the community until his death in 1897. Jemima's gravestone reads:"Jemima McKeeverwife ofAlfred Taylorborn 1837died 1873"Her twins, Alfred and Hill Engle, are buried with her and their information is included below her own.




No comments:

Post a Comment