Wednesday, October 7, 2009

part 2: Hillgrove Cemetery, Darke Co, OH

Here is the image of the cemetery that I got from google earth:





From the looks of the photo I figured that I could walk around and try to find Elias' stone fairly easily and I was right, thanks to google earth. This was my first real time using this application and I'm really glad I tried it. All I had to do was enter in the latitude and longitude coordinates, which I had gotten from
www.histopolis.com, a website that I hadn't seen before. Between the two sites I was not only able to see how large the cemetery was, but I was also able to figure out how to get there prior to my leaving home, which was extremely helpful. What I wasn't mentally prepared for though, was the sad state of some of the stones. Specifically, the fact that there were stacks and stacks of stones that had broken, fallen, etc. just lying on top of old bases so you couldn't know where the stones were supposed to go. Some were worn blank but there were some that were still legible. One had only initials at the top of the stone. I started to get worried but soon found the stone, bent backwards a bit, but still in tact and legible. I plan to return periodically and hopefully I'll be able to get a plat map set up as well.

So here is a pic of the cemetery




And here is the stone




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip about histopolis. I just used it to easily plan a drive to visit five cemeteries within a fairly small radius.

    ReplyDelete